Bedmi Puri (Bedhai)
Ingredients(for 2-3 servings)
- 1/4 cup skinless urad dal
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp fennel seed powder (crushed)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp dry ginger powder (sonth)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- Salt as per taste
- ½ cup coriander leaves (nicely chopped)
- 2 tbsp oil
- Oil to fry
Method (How to make bedmi puri at home)
- Wash and soak urad dal in the water for 6-8 hour.
- Drain the water and coarsely blend dal into a thick paste, using little water.
- In a big bowl add wheat flour and other spices and mix well.
- Add the dal paste to the flour and form into a soft dough using some water as needed.
- Add one tbsp of oil over the dough and knead for one minute. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it sit for half an hour or more.
- Apply oil on your palm and knead the dough again and divide into 12-15 equal parts. Oil palm again and roll the eight parts into smooth balls.
- Oil the rolling pin and rolling surface. Roll the balls gently into 5-6 inch circles.
- Heat oil in deep kadhai or pan over medium to high heat and Place the puri in the frying pan and press with a skimmer. The puri should puff up. Turn puri over and cook till golden and crispy from both sides.
- Take the puri out from the oil and place them on paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Repeat the process for remaining puries.
- Serve hot bedmi puri with sweet pumkin curry, or sonth ki chutney.