Chana Dal Pumpkin Curry
Ingredients (for 3-4 servings)
- 3 cups chopped green pumpkin (chopped in ½ inch pieces)
- ½ cup chana dal split
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 medium tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 green chili (chopped)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 cup water
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt as required
Method (How to make chana dal pumpkin curry)
- Wash and soak the chana dal for atleast 30 mins. Drain the water from chana dal and keep aside.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker add cumin seed and sauté till start cracking, add asafoetida, add the onions and saute till they become translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and green chilies and saute for 10-15 seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and all the dry spice powders. saute till the tomatoes soften.
- Cook till the oil separate from the masala.
- Add chopped pumpkin and chana dal and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt and water.
- Cover the cooker with the lid and pressure cook for about 4-5 whistles on a high flame. After that cook on low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker cool down on its own, remove the lid and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with pumpkin chana dal sabzi hot with rotis or rice